Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

salty@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:18:48 -0500, Nate Nagel <njnagel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> salty@xxxxxxx wrote:

>>> A lot of new cars already come equipped with LED tail Lights. They are
>>> very bright, and if one LED fails, you still have a lot of light. The
>>> only thing I don't like about them on my car is that there is no
>>> warmth generated to de-ice the lenses in winter. Tail light lenses are
>>> plastic, so there is a limit to how much you can do to clear them with
>>> an ice scraper without scratching them.
>>>
>> Right, my original comment was referring to retrofitting
>> LEDs in an older vehicle.  Nothing good seems to be available there, at
>> least not in a plug and play (or nearly so) solution.
>>
>> nate
>
> I've seen plenty of direct replacements for 1157 incandescents,
> complete with standard bayonet base.

I've tried a couple out of curiosity, they range from "OK but about half
the apparent brightness of a 1034 or 1157" or "so dim you'd have to be
insane to even think about using them."  Nothing actually "acceptable."

None of the vendors of same are willing to put in their documentation a
comparison of brightness between their "bulbs" and a standard 1034/1157.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel