Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article <Q0SNm.58762$Wf2.37677@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Josepi wrote:
>LED tail light are not "very bright". The illumination is very poor.
>
>However LED lights are very focused and play on the human vision system to
>compete with the effectiveness of incandescents.
>
>Many incandescent tail lights have taken a lesson in efficiency also and
>many of the so-called LED taillights on vehicles are actually incandescent
>bulbs. Take a closer look and you will see many peanut bulbs in a reflector
>with small pockets.

  My experience is that they are usually LEDs.  Most but not all cars with
LED tail/brake have dimming for tail function achieved by pulsing at a low
duty cycle.  (This is done because most LEDs do not have
low-current performance sufficiently predictable from one run to another
for certification.)

  Such LED tail/brake lights in tail mode usually show a stroboscopic
pattern if I move my eyes while looking at them.

>When will we see back-up LED lights on vehicles?  Not likely in the near
>future. The total luminence is not there to illuminate an area. Something
>LEDs have failed at, to date.

  There are now legal LED backup lights, although so far I have only
noticed these as aftermarket replacements for truck backup lights or for
manufacture of truck bodies and trailers.

 - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)