Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article <PACOm.39298$X01.21550@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Josepi wrote:
>Incandescents were not so acceptable. They were experiemtning with LEDS to
>lower the maintenance on incandescent systems.
>
>Somebody ehre was roght about the lack of heat too. Snow storms can fill the
>lamp projector lens in and the status cannot be told during the day. (No we
>aren't moving to Florida, Robert...LOL)

  Hasn't been much of an actual problem in Philadelphia PA USA.

>After a debate on the job, we ran into a traffic light maintenance crew and
>pulled over to chat with them.  IIRC, they informed me they replace the
>incandescents every year or on report. We always have multiple lamps for
>out traffic lights. I assume you are in the USA where they classically may
>have only one traffic head facing each way.

  My experience in Philadelphia and its suburbs in 2 states is that
minimum of 2 face each way.

>We have at least two and on big intersection, three or four,
>sometimes. (we get lower sun in the winter. There always seems to be the
>main one with a sunset right beside it)
>
>I would imagine an incandescent, pushed and heated that hard and then
>blinked on and off would wear the filiament out (thermal shock) very
>quickly, too.

  Incandescent filaments suffering significant damage from thermal shock
is mostly myth, despite existence of devices to remedy this.  What mainly
happens is that an aging filament becomes unable to survive a cold start a
little before it becomes unable to survive continuous operation.

  I even tried an experiment with a soft-starting device claimed to double
life of incandescents.  It was a NTC thermistor, and when fully warmed up
it dimmed an incandescent enough to multiply its life by at least 1.5.

 - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)