Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

"Christopher Glaeser" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > TYCO ELECTRONICS - 1658622-3 and said it was available from Newark
> > Electronics. Actually, she just said "Newark" and I assumed the
> > "Electronics" part but I never followed up because I found that an XT
era
> > game port/joystick adapter cable also fits and I had a few in my
junkbox.

> Thanks.  I found the connector at Newark.  Now to locate a short piece of
> ribbon cable.  Would be nice if this connector were similar to the other
> screw connectors on the board.  Also, would be nice if this device could
be
> powered via POE.  Still, can't beat the price with a stick.  :)
>
> Best,
> Christopher

Send me your snail mail address via email and I will shoot you a length or
two.  I've used up my game port connectors but I've got plenty of 20
conductor ribbon I can spare that you can peel off four conductors from.
Email address is munged - change 00's to OO's to get through.

Vendors do mysterious things.  If I didn't already have some old PC game
port cables I probably would have paid three times the going rate just to
have the cable and connector available at time and place of purchase.  That
was one of the things I really liked about fellow newsgrouper Jeff Volp's
XTB-II series.  He sold the required cabling and likely accessories all at
the time of purchase, cutting the hassle factor immensely.  And cheaper than
I could have gotten the stuff nearly anywhere else.

WebControl would probably serve themselves well by making the temp sensors
and the humidity sensors available through their Amazon storel.  Their tech
support person Sophie did allude to some pretty serious restrictions placed
on them by Amazon like not being able to even point to their own site's URL
for the documentation.  I know Ebay used to have similar restrictions, but
almost any big Ebay store nowadays seems to expect people to bypass Ebay
after the first sale and they post their own store URL's freely on their
Ebay listings.

My Honeywell humidity sensors arrived today, so I'm going to get to hooking
them up RSN, providing everything else cooperates.  So far, that's not the
case.  The car's developed a water leak somewhere, and is beginning to grow
mold I can't see but sure can smell.  My security DVR decides to stop
recording randomly, which is quite annoying since some vandals stole all the
local street signs last night - while my new DVR was locked up!!!  I've
alreadly returned it once because the drive cable was melted.  This means
running all sorts of tests. )-:  Electronics requires too much care and
feeding!

Well, I'll let you know a) the Honeywell sensors even work (they came from a
guy in Canada, not a big electronics house.  They were half price, which
means only one of them probably works, b) if the two unit's readings agree
with each other and c) if they agree with any of the other humidity sensors
in the house (none of which agree exactly with each other, but are mostly
within 10% of each other.  Mostly).

--
Bobby G.