Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

In article <pan.2009.11.06.18.54.02.701612@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jules.richardsonnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jules) writes:

| One gotcha I found with one of my home systems is that WOL doesn't work if
| the power's been off (power cut, breaker, 'hard' switch on the back of the
| PSU etc.) - the first time after a total power-off I need to hit the
| switch on the front of the machine; it won't respond to WOL events. Once
| it's been on via the front switch once, shutdown-WOL cycles work normally.
|
| I'm not sure if that's a widespread problem (or even a goofy intentional
| 'feature'), or if I've just got crap firmware :-)

I've noticed that the BIOS options available to control behavior after
a full power loss vary widely.  On some systems there are no choices at
all.  Others allow you to select on, off, or even previous state.  Some
systems that don't appear to have useful options in this area _do_ have
clock-based power-on so you can sort of get a similar effect if you want
the machine back up eventually.  I wonder where the options and state are
stored.  If the are in the CMOS is that accessible from sleep mode or do
they have to power up to determine whether or not to power up?

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com