Re: Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

On Nov 3, 8:30=A0am, George <geo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert Green wrote:
> > "RickH" <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > <stuff snipped>
>
> > <<I ordered one to do remote power-up / boot-up of other computers in
> > the home. =A0Computers that I occasionally need to get to over the
> > Internet (to copy files from work etc) but dont want to leave running
> > all day (for network and power reasons).>>
>
> > Since the company that makes these is a server farm "balancer" I suspec=
> > that you're doing just what they designed this to do for themselves:
> > monitoring and controlling computers. =A0Given how much power today's s=
uperhot
> > CPU's can draw, I think the question of "leave them running" or "shut t=
hem
> > off" has finally been settled in favor of =A0shutting them off, if only=
 for
> > power saving reasons. =A0 It's kind of funny that 20 years ago the
> > conservation side of that ON/OFF debate was hardly a factor. =A0Certain=
ly not
> > the emissions part of things.
>
> > <<Still unsure about how to do this, will probably have to wire a relay
> > to the actual on/off switch on the computer and have this little guy
> > trigger a remote boot by paralleling said relay across the existing
> > power button. =A0Once the remoter computer is powered and booted, I can
> > use Windows remote desktop services to do a normal shutown when I'm
> > done.>>
>
> I think that is the long way around the block.. WOL is perfect for this.
>

> > I'd try to figure out how to use wake on LAN or Modem Ring. =A0Even the=
 old
> > 2001 PC's I've got have that capability. =A0When I used to use a simila=
> > wakeup method (anyone remember remote modem programs like "Reachout" an=
> > "PCAnywhere"?) I used an X-10 phone responder and an appliance module t=
> > start and stop the computer and set the BIOS to reboot on power blips. =
=A0Cost
> > under $50 IIRC. =A0I hooked up the PC to the module, plugged the respon=
der in
> > and when I dialed my home phone, after 10 rings, it would pick up, beep
> > three times and then I entered a secure code and then I could touch ton=
e 1*
> > to turn on the PC and 1# to turn it off and so on for up to 16 differen=
> > devices.
>
> > In your scenario you'd replace the X-10 module with a relay - I'd proba=
bly
> > wire up a 2 gang plastic box with a line cord, a relay on one side (wit=
h a
> > fuse on the relay line that would blow if 110VAC ever got cross-connect=
ed)
> > and an outlet on the other. =A0I'll bet there are code-compliant compon=
ents
> > for this, so I leave it to other to chastize me for running LV and line
> > voltage into the same box.

> [...]

The problem is WOL still requires you to have at least one computer
already powered up, then that computer can receive the WOL command to
power up the other computer(s) provided the motherboards have WOL
jacks.  I wanted a single computer dead until I power it up.