Re: Long Live the Incandescent!

Last year I bought several different LED lights for testing.  Two were 12V
MR16 intended to replace the 20W halogens in our landscape lights.  The
other was a 120V version for a dark interior hallway.

All these applications needed wide dispersion.  While I bought the widest
dispersion LEDs I could find, they were still not quite as good as the
halogens.  Brightness was similar, but the LED's turned our red landscape
rock gray.

The 4W 120V Lumoform turned out to be a horrible noise generator, causing
two Leviton X10 switches on that circuit to stop working.  The Leviton
switches incorporate AGC to deal with powerline noise.  I could see the
noise generated by that one bulb on the scope in my workshop, so its noise
was being broadcast throughout the house.  I moved that LED bulb to another
application where a XPPF solved the noise problem.  A dimmable CFL now works
perfectly in that hallway, and dims down to just a nightlight glow at night.

The LED landscape lights have also been retired.  I replaced them with 12V
MR16 CFLs made by Feit.  They are wide dispersion like the halogens, and the
color works well with our red rock.  Best is that they cost less than half
as much as the better LED MR16, and only use only ¼ the power that the
halogens did.

While LEDs may eventually be the winner, they just aren't competitive yet.

Jeff

"John M" <2ac16mo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, I finished the article.  It was a serious piece of work.  I was
disappointed that it was so heavily into the CFL with very little on
LED.  He did bring up some points about CFLs which I had not thought
about before.  All in all a good read.  I still like LEDs ;-)