Re: Long Live the Incandescent!

windcrest <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 6:33 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
>> Today's NYT has an article on incandescent bulbs that meet the energy
>> efficiency mandates that were expected to make them obsolete.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/business/energy-environment/06bulbs...
>>
>> And last week, when announcing tougher energy efficiency mandates for
>> straight tube fluorescents and reflector bulbs, Obama said that 7% of US
>> energy use goes for lighting. That's about the same percent that I had come
>> up with using DOE statistics and a far cry from the bogus 20-25% figure used
>> by the eco-terrorists and other Wallmart shills.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/business/energy-environment/30light...
>>
>> And here's another interesting read on CFLs.
>>
>> http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm
>
>Looks good, I especially like the low parts count to make them.  I
>hope someone combines the reflective coating technique with the laser-
>etched filament technique to possibly obtain even greater
>efficiencies.  I never liked throwing out a ballast and all those
>other parts with a CFL.  I still contend that the supply chain needed
>to make a CFL (resistors, transistors, capacitors, coils, mercury,
>phosphor, gas handling, etc) outweigh a simple bulb with only 5 low-
>tech parts. If you add up the total cost of manufacturing and mining
>and delivering the resources for all those individual parts then dump
>them all into landfills, I think the "true cost" of CFL goes way up.
>But the lobbyists conveniently leave out the cost of logistics and
>deep supplier costs associated with all the parts needed to make a
>CFL.

Not being a physicist, I don't know whether the combination is possible. I
does seem an obvious way to further improve it. The laser etched filament
seems similar to the "tungsten lattice" developed at Sandia Labs.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/676767/posts

There's also this...

http://spie.org/x26015.xml?ArticleID=x26015