Re: Lights going on at random times!! Any ideas?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:15:15 -0800 (PST), MPSAN <empea3@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>We have had X-10 for decades and never had this issue before!
>
>We use the IBM Home Director HD11A (same as CM11A) and ActiveHome
>1.42d software. We have many X-10 switches and all work. Sometimes
>when one stops it is because of a lamp being burned out from our multi-
>light outside lights.
>
>Anyway, we just added a new power center for my wife's new system.
>Since then, several lights come on at random times during the day! I
>now took it out of the circuit and have added her old power center
>back to see if that is creating the issue. However, what I want to
>know is how this could be the cause? I ask as I have had noisy
>components before, but they just prevent a light from going off if it
>was on, or on if it were off. I never had a component turn a light on
>at random. It seems to me that turning a light on, in this case C2,
>should not respond to random noise, but takes a bit stream...ie
>11000010 (C2) with a code for ON.
>
>Can the noise corrupt the software in the CM11A? I am testing with the
>old power center as I said, but wonder how this could happen.
>
>OH, for extra credit, is there a better Computer interface available
>now with more memory and better software that is not as prone to line
>noise? I heard about the CM15, but also heard it was very prone to
>noise...especially the clock.
I don't claim to fully understand it, but devices that load down the
X-10 signals can cause this symptom.  I had a Sony TV that did it.  My
guess is that the modules see less signal and thereby increase their
gain to compensate thereby becoming more vulnerable to noise.
Regardless of whether that explanation is right or wrong, plugging the
TV into a filter solved my problem.  In your case add a plug-in filter
before the new load center.  Remember that a lot of the new surge
protected power strips are designed to swamp out noise.
Unfortunately, X-10 signals are just "noise" on the power line.  I go
out of my way to buy non surge protected power strips.