Re: X10 and fluorescent lights

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:39:33 +0100, Steinar Midtskogen
<steinar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>[Dirk Bruere at NeoPax]

>>> Yep, not unless they're the more expensive (often much more) type
>>> than clearly state they support being operated from a dimmer.
>>
>> It might make sense to go for LED lighting.
>> More expensive initially, but over the lifetime of the LEDs probably
>> cheaper than fluorescents.
>
>I had both LED and fluorescent lighting, but I had to replace all the
>LED lighting (with fluorescent) when I began using X10 because they
>destroyed the X10 signals.
>
>I've also tried dimmable fluorescent lightbulbs with mixed results.
>They light level drops much faster and they sometimes refused to
>relight if turned on unless the brightness was at the maximum.
I have had LED problems as well.  It's a shame they can take a
technology that is noise free by itself and then design cheap power
supplies that create all sorts of noise.  One set of LED puck lights I
purchased at Home Depot were so bad, they emitted enough RF energy to
stop my wireless mouse and keyboard from working.  I ended up throwing
away the power supply that came with the lights and modifying an old
Dell 19v laptop supply to take its place.  They are selling this
poorly designed crap all over the place.  There is no way it meets FCC
regulations, but no one seems to be enforcing those regulations these
days.