Recommended CCTV devices

Without spending a great deal of money, I would like to install a basic
wireless security system preferably using a motion sensor and night vision
camera, though night vision isn't crucial and I can do without if it
increases cost and a receiver which has the capability to add more cameras
when needed. I can hook the system to my TV and I still have an unused VCR
which I can use for recording or even use my DVR. Therefore, can anyone
recommend systems or separate devices to combine as a system?

I have searched and found people selling used wireless cameras on Craigslist
but I would like to know if cameras and receivers are compatible with each
other? Can I simply purchase a camera and receiver separately to work
together?

Also, how does a motion activated camera control the recording device or do
I need a separate motion activated device to control the recording device?

Thank you for all the help as I want to learn as much about this as I can.