Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

clare@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I've got a real assortment of small LED flashlights, and a couple big
>ones. GREAT battery life. For home lighting they are still pretty
>pricy, but with incandescents being phased out, and the LOUSY luck
>I've had with CFLs, it sure is tempting!!!!!

The New York Times had an article earlier this week about a study (from a
manufacturer) that indicates both CFL & LED lights use about 20% of the
lifetime energy used by incandescents. That includes manufacturing and
transport costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/business/energy-environment/30led.html?scp=1&sq=led%20osram&st=cse

I don't no whether that reflects the high early failure rate for CFLs nor do
I know whether mass production of LED lighting may lead to the same types of
early failures which could severely skew the results.

Hmmm, I guess early failure actually means the CFLs use even less lifetime
energy. ;-)