Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article <uK7Ym.5537$2A7.695@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Josepi wrote:
>Something many may not have have thought of is that box we stare at for
>hours every night with the LCD sets and the lighting technology behind them.
>This could be a huge factor in our lighting input for the day.
>
>You may be interested in this (spurred by your supplied links elsewhere)
>LEDs may be just as bad as CFLs for health damage due to spectral content.
>
>http://www.international-light-association.eu/PDF/
>Artificial%20Light%20and%20Health%20PLDC07.pdf

  Except this stuff on blaming health problems by melanopsin peaking at
460 nm being stimulated by CFL's blue peak (436 nm) is BS.  An equivalent
amount of daylight has more stimulation of the blue color sensors in the
eye (peaking at 445 nm), as indicated by daylight appearing more blue.
An equivalent amount of daylight stimulates scotopic receptors (peaking at
508 nm) much more than CFL does, as indicated by higher s/p ratio.
Daylight's spectrum is pretty smooth and high throughout the violet to
blue-green range, and favors a photomechanism peaking at 460 nm (whereCFL
spectrum is lacking) even less than is favors sensing a bluish color.

  The whole document appears to me to be a fluorescent-bashing BS set of
half-truths.

  In fact, most health claims related to 460 nm from advocates of
full-spectrum lamps are that non-full-spectrum fluorescents do not produce
enough in the 460 nm area (which most white LEDs do produce a lot of).

<snip to here>

>"Chuck" <cbachmann@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I will stay with old fashion bulbs as long as I can. My wife can't be
>exposed to florescence bulbs. People with immune problems (arthritis or
>lupus or fibromyalgia) react badly to the CFL type bulbs. They emit
>ultra violet light like the sun does.

  As it turns out, CFLs do not produce a lot of ultraviolet, in fact
much less than is present in an equivalent amount of daylight that has
passed through a glass window.  CFLs produce more UV than incandescents
do, but still little.

 - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)