Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:53:54 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
<noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Mark Lloyd" wrote:
>>
>> Faith is a good thing. The above doesn't refer to faith, but to
>> "magical thinking", a quality of small children and those who fail to
>> grow up.
>
>It's an interesting quandary.  Jodie says that there is no evidence that she can
>see and therefore she does not believe.  Christianity teaches that faith *is*
>the evidence of things unseen.  :^)
>
>Your choice of words is excellent.  According to Christian beliefs, we're
>supposed to have "faith like a little child."

And never grow up. Growing up would be inconsistent with Christian
teaching.

>> Strange that you would assume I was using quotations for instruction.
>
>Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were taking her comments as instruction.

OK, although I do wonder why people make that assumption.

>> Here's another that's not at all for that purpose:
>>
>> god is real - unless declared integer
>
>That one's over my head.  :^)

Actually it depends on some specialized knowledge, about computer
programming. If you understand it, it's funny. If you don't understand
it, don't worry about it. I know what it means, and found it an
interesting thing to include in my list of quotations.

>> As to God, consider the difference between it and Santa Claus, The
>> Tooth Fairy, The Invisible Pink Unicorn, Zeus, Last Thursday's Cat,
>> The Great Pumpkin, and millions of other mythical beings.
>
>I have considered the difference.  Here's my take on it:
>1. Santa and friends are indeed mythical beings.  They will always be myths no
>matter how many children believe in them.

And God will always be a myth no matter hop many people believe in
him. Where's the evidence of any difference here?

>2. God is real if you believe.

Of course, it's real. A very real part of your imagination (The same
way Santa and the others are real if you believe). What would be wrong
would be the idea that somehow YOU control the external reality that
all people depend on.

Also, I can see my cat right here. There's no need for (the
non-serious form of) belief, as there is for God.

>3. If you don't believe in God, you will never know God.

Most likely true, considering what and where God is.

>I'm no Biblical scholar but I've found this much evidence of God.  It is in the
>making choice to believe -- the decision to accept on faith that which is
>unseen -- that one proves God's existence.

Do you really think there's evidence in there? You said "that which is
unseen". Of course, unseen things can be real. Where is the evidence
to suggest this one is? Where is the evidence that even a little bit
useful to anyone who could use it?

That "evidence" no more points to God than to Last Thursday's Cat*.

>One tough part of that is it only proves it to the one who chooses to believe.
>I can't prove it to you, only to me.

Notice the only people this "proof" works on is those who don't need
it. That's one of the characteristics of a scam.

>To know for sure you have to make your own
>choice.  As much as it works for me, I can't insist that you believe.  I would
>be foolish to try to "convince" you or anyone else for that matter.  It's
>something you decide for yourself.  Besides, it's important to me to respect
>your right not to believe.

To me belief is something serious, "wanting" has nothing to do with
it. That would be fantasy, not belief. That's a good thing, a personal
one. I hope it stays personal.

=========

* in case you haven't heard, someone said, "My cat created the
universe last Thursday, along with everyone's false memories. There's
no way you can prove she didn't.".

BTW, I am not questioning Gods existence, but human behaviors such as
belief with no evidence.

BTW2, I have, for a long time, suspected there was something to this
"God" thing. I have never found anything, and have never given up.

BTW3, The other reason I get involved in  this sort of thing is that I
have respect for people, and don't like to see them entangled in these
mind-destroying delusions. It's quite stressful so I can't do it very
often.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster