Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Don Klipstein) wrote:

>>Power Factor affects total generating capacity.
>
>  But not so much for fuel consumption.  Reactive component of load does
>not translate to turque required to turn the generator.
>in torque load, not net torque.

I don't believe I've ever encountered this claim before but it's been about
50 years since I learned the fundamentals. Still, I don't recall anything
like this and this PDF from Cummins Power Generation "appears" to say
exactly the opposite.

http://www.cumminspower.com/www/literature/technicalpapers/PT-6004-PowerFactorTests-en.pdf

Cummins says, "A generator operating at rated kW at 0.8 power factor lagging
load requires more kW from the engine than when running at rated kW on a
resistive load bank. This is due to a change in alternator efficiency and
will result in increased operating temperatures and fuel consumption."