Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"Kurt Ullman" <kurtullman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:kurtullman-93A45F.10075820112009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In article <f4yNm.10648$JC2.5210@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  "Josepi" <JRM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > How can UV from the sun affect these maladities? Sun exposure usually
> > affects many maladities in a good way. Breast cancer is one that is
> > statistically reduced, big time.
> >
>    Was wondering the same things. About the only thing I could think of
> was that some medications make you more sensitive to UV radiation and
> thus more susceptible to sun burn.  But I haven't seen anything in 25
> years of nursing to support that as a problem outside the sun or tanning
> booths.

See my previous post about:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122268881/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Many people have photodermatoses:

http://www.google.com/search?q=percent+of+the+population+with+photodermatoses

a quote in that article leads to:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/ja/ia.jsp?ia=AU2007%2F001276&IA=AU2007001276&DISPLAY=DESC

Which claims: "Polymorphous Light Eruption (PLE) or sun poisoning is a
severe debilitating skin disorder with an incidence of 10-20% in the general
population."  It's also well known, as you've noted, that meds like
fluoroquinones antibiotics and antidepressants like doxepin can seriously
exacerbate any underlying skin condition.

I'm surprised a nurse would be unaware of the scope of this condition, but
it's possible you've never run into a hospitalizable case.

No, wait.  I apologize and take that back.

I discovered last week I have been pronouncing "hysteresis" wrong all my
life.

It's entirely possible you've never seen a really bad case because people
with severe photodermatoses don't get out much and for a good reason.
There's just so much to know and learn in the modern world that I don't
think any humans have a chance of knowing more that a little corner of it.

--
Bobby G.