Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Dave Houston wrote:
> "Josepi" <JRM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Power delivered to the load is the main required energy input to the
>> generator.
>>
>> However,
>> losses in the delivery equipment and the generation equipment is due to the
>> current or VA required to deliver power to the load. eg. Heating in the
>> windings of the generator is due to the current passing through the windings
>> and is not related to the usage (watts) the load makes from the source.
>
> I'm still not clear on this. 50 years ago when the USAF taught me
> electronics there was only a brief discussion of reactive power where
> current is stored and then released out-of-phase. That was fairly
> straightforward. I don't recall any mention of THD (at least in relation to
> power lines) so I don't have a good grasp of the issues with SMPS. And, it's
> not clear to me whether PF as it relates to CFL/LED incorporates THD.
>
> You and Don (and Cummins) seem to be saying that low PF adds to the
> generator load but the increased load is not linearly proportional to PF.
> How is this calculated?

I can tell you this from my experience in the electrical construction
field, building power transformers have undergone a major redesign in
the past few decades because of the computer age. This may sound a bit
odd but this applies to CFL lighting too. Computers use switching power
supplies that put an asymmetrical load and high frequency harmonics on
on a power system designed to operate at 50/60 cycles. CFL units also
use switching power supplies to operate the lamp and a wholesale change
over to CFL lighting could cause problems in older buildings. The newer
building power transformers are designed to deal with the electrical
loads presented by switching power supplies. Anytime a government gets
involved in fundamentally changing an industry, havoc will result. A
good example is when lawmakers went after the plumbing industry and we
wound up with water saving toilets that you have to flush three times
to get rid of whatever. I do believe that government types sit around
dreaming up what they can screw up next and never consider "The law of
unintended results."

http://powerelectronics.com/mag/power_power_transformer_attenuates/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

TDD