New to this

Hello all, I am kinda new to this kind of stuff and being a computer
hardware nerd and my roommate being a small time programmer we wanted
to see how this would be set up and a final cost of everything we
need. So a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have like a visio or a data diagram of how they have
everything setup in there own home with what products they have and
how it is linked.

2. I a first timer with this and any suggestions for a n00b?

thx