Re: XPS3 Strangeness

"Jeff Volp" wrote:

> UL estimated 6K to 14K, depending on the level of testing.  In addition,
> they require a semi-annual inspection of the "production facility" to
> maintain the rating.  I don't know how much that costs.  The other
> independent testing laboratory estimated $4800 to $5500 just for testing,
> plus annual inspections.  My entire net from this project in 2006 was $2433.
> Clearly, prices would have to increase to cover testing.
>
> A couple of XTB-II/R owners did their own "safety testing" by either losing
> the neutral reference or connecting the 120V input directly across 240V.
> That pops the MOVs, and causes one or both fuses to open.  The carbonized
> MOVs can look ugly, but the unit is easily repaired.  The cases on all units
> are UL rated flame-retardant ABS plastic designed to contain any major
> failure.  Other than smell, there was no evidence of the damage until the
> cases were opened.
>
> The 3-phase unit has components rated for 240V operation, so a lost neutral
> will only result in the unit not working.  Obviously, there is no
> overvoltage issue when the unit is connected properly.

I was just curious how much they wanted.  I never doubted you were making
something safe.  If I were planning to use X10 in my projects, the first thing
I'd order is your XTB-II/R.  As it happens, I'm pretty well set on going the
ZWave route.  The next decision is how much I want to do with the lighting.
There are nearly 100 circuits I might want to control eventually but only
about 40 are critical.  I've sold a fair number of Leviton Vizia RF (Z-Wave)
systems and so far there've been no problems.

I realize you do a lot with X10 but have you played with Z-Wave at all yet?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics