Re: Add a lot of X10 or Insteon to a big installation?

On May 1, 11:02=A0am, Mitch <sumcool...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have about 50-60 X10 modules (a lot are smarthome, some are Leviton)
> in my house and have added an addition. =A0I'll need to add another 50
> or so with about 20 of them being relays for fluorescent lights.
>
> I've considered using Insteon for the new areas of the house. =A0But,
> I'm concerned that the signal suck from 50 Insteon devices will kill
> my X10 reliability (even though I have an XTB-IIR).
>
> One issue with using X10 is that Leviton non-dimming switches
> (HCS10-1SW) are EXPENSIVE (relative to Insteon non-dimmers. )
>
> I did find some decent pricing on some PCS switches (RS115) -- anyone
> have an opinion on these switches?
>
> So... what would you suggest?
>
> - Stick with X10 and use PCS switches
> - Stick with X10 and buy the leviton switches even though they're
> expensive
> - Go with Insteon for the new stuff (all -- dimming and non-dimming)
> - Go with Insteon for just the non-dimming switches
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mitch

I'm running 60 Insteon devices and my pre-existing X10 devices were
not affected.  I have no X10 signal amp, repeaters, filters or passive
bridge.  But all the Insteaon devices are on a separate 8 breaker 60
amp electrical sub-panel feeding a basement remodel and home
addition.  All the old X10 is on the main home panel branches.  It
seems ok to mix these two technologies, especially since the Insteon
devices are bi-prototol.  I have not experienced signal suck, yet I
have up to 12 devices on some of the breakers.