What to look for

I'm limited in knowledge of home theater equipment and hoping someone can
help me. Basically, I want to install a 5.1, maybe a 7.1 surround sound
system in my basement along with my TV. Though, I know I can pretty much buy
a Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc. and have a decent system (or maybe not) but
what I'd really like to know is....what do I look for in a good system for a
moderate price? Nothing extravagant but nothing cheap. If you were to
basically tell someone to go shopping for a receiver with a list of what to
look for, what would they be?

Thank you for any help I can receive.