Where to start?

Hi guys

I'm completely new to this home automation thing but I'm quite excited
and I was wondering if you can give some pointers on where to start.

All I got now is a copy of "Smart Homes for Dummies" and some
descriptions of the X-10 protocol. Maybe you can suggest a little
project to start with. Nothing fancy just some ABC's.

Thanks a lot!