Re: XPS3 Strangeness

"Jeff Volp" wrote:

> UL approved components are used in the high-voltage section.  Both the XTB
> and XTB-IIR are fused.  Trace separation in the high voltage section exceeds
> UL requirements.  I did investigate UL testing and also an alternate testing
> laboratory, but the cost was prohibitive.  The price of these units would
> have to double to ever recover the cost, and that would put them beyond the
> reach of most X10 users.  Most of us don't have deep pockets like some of
> the other automation users who contribute to this group.

Jeff,

Just curious.  How much does UL want for the initial certification?  Once
that's done would you have to pay annually to maintain the listing?  Also,
would they require re-certification after firmware changes?  I know that with
security and fire alarms every minor change in hardware or firmware has to be
certified.  Even the manuals go through UL.  I don't know if it's quite that
bad with non-life safety components though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics