Re: Simple Calculation of Sunset Time required

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message

<stuff snipped>

> I'm located down in a "notch" between two hills.  I use a photocell
> with a collimating tube to "watch" the streetlight which has a
> photocell WAY higher than I can get ;-)

I would think a diffused dome reflector like those used on photographic
light meters pointed straight up would work in your situation, but your
solution is still a lot simpler than calculating dates.  It also provides
light whenever the streetlamp controller decides to provide light, so it's
probably going to compensate for extremely overcast and rainy days.

I've been examining the nightly log of controller events and its very clear
that a photocell is no slave to absolute sunrise and sunset times.  Rainy,
cloudy skies affect the total ambient illumination quite noticeably.

The X-10 Hawkeyes may not be good for much, but they do a very reliable job
of sensing sunrise and sunset.  Better still, I didn't have to run any wires
because it's RF. I just have to remember to change batteries every two
years.  Pretty good deal considering most of my Hawkeyes came free during
the great "X-10 Voucher" days.

--
Bobby G.