Re: Simple Calculation of Sunset Time required

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "OG" wrote:
> >
> > I would NOT include amongst the assumptions 'the problem can be solved
by a
> > light sensor'
> >
> > I may ask for clarification of the 'requirements', but if the client
states
> > that a computational solution is needed I would not 'assume' that (s)he
is
> > mistaken in her/his requirements.
>
> Then you'd miss the opportunity to discuss other possible solutions, some
of
> which might actually prove more useful to the client.

Precisely.  If a client came to you worried about burglars breaking in
through the windows and wanted to apply window foil to all of them, how much
weight should you give his particular approach to the problem as opposed to
the correct solution:  glass break dectors?

Of course, he might very possibly have have good reasons to want to foil
every window in his house.  He might like the appearance, or believe visible
foil to be a deterren.  He might have cases of foil on hand or he may want a
glass break sensor that consumes very little standby power.  But most likely
it was the first solution that came to mind.

The reasons I've suggested for needing foil would be those mythical zebras
because they are not very likely be the reason for his spec'ing foil.  A
good consultant would immediately see the client's taken a bad initial
approach and remind him of all the problems that come with window foil
technology while explaining the many benefits of the newer technology.

--
Bobby G.