Another question about current sense

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question (which it probably
is.)

Is there a difference between "local control" and "current sense" ?

Many years ago I needed to modify an appliance module and I used Ido
Bartana's mod of clipping diode D10.  But now I see all of these mods
for clipping pin7 or cutting a jumper.

Are both mods needed?  Or is one for one type of module and the other
for another type?

I want to modify some lamp modules now.

Unfortunately I have not been following the latest hacks over the
years.  My house has actually been working great for the past few
years.  (With the exception of my branch circuit filter not stopping
the line noise from the furnace.)