Re: IBM bathroom patent symbolic of US patent ills

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:f0eou3ptp1fe2bm5hk0sa91pop46pjk5p2@xxxxxxxxxx

> In the past I've done a lot of expert witness consulting.  This year,
> though, I've lost a lot of business by telling potential clients that
> their patent wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell.

Anyone who watched the OJ trial realizes that if you've got enough money,
you can find an expert witness to tell you anything's possible.  And if his
trial didn't convince the world that "Justice may be blind, but she can sure
smell money!" there's the Phil Spector trial.  In that case, it was apparent
the murder victim's "alleged" best friend reversed her testimony for the
hint of a recording contract.  I guess Hollywood lives by a different set of
rules.  Disney & Friends with the help of Senator "Disney" Hollings

(take your choice:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Senator+%22Disney%22+Hollings+ )

basically rewrote the US copyright laws to eliminate the concept of fair use
with digital video and extend copyright cash cows like Mickey way beyond
what the founding fathers and most other people thought until Sen Hollings
(D-isney) came along and "helped" them.

http://www.linux.com/feature/17027

"Picture a future where distributing Linux is a crime punishable by a hefty
fine and a prison sentence. If that sounds ridiculous, then you haven't run
into the Security Systems Standards and Certification Act. It's the very
latest -- and most bizarre -- word in political back-scratching from one of
South Carolina's U.S. senators. And he'd rather not talk about it, thank you
very much."

--
Bobby G.