Starting point for newbie

Hi Y'All,

I'm based in the UK and am about to get my whole house re-wired, so I
thought it would be a good time to invest in home automation.
If you were about to undertake such a move, regardless of what your current
setup is, what would y'all invest in now, and where are the best sources of
objective information?
I'm reasonable tech-savvy - build my own PC etc...

Thanks,
AD