Re: New to this

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

> Same deal with alarm and security setups.  Yes, you can integrate it with a
> PC or other home automation system.  But if you NEED it to do what it does,
> tying it up to an automation system 'just for kicks' isn't always such a
> great idea.

As usual, Bill makes some very valid points.  However, there are a few
mid-priced home automation systems around that are both user friendly and at
least reasonable in cost.  ELK Products' M1G system (which I support) and
HAI's Omni series (which I don't support) are both worth of considering.

The ELK system is a UL-listed residential security and fire alarm panel as
well as a full-blown home automation system.  It plays nicely with numerous
lighting and HVAC protocols, has an Ethernet card for web access and control,
etc.  HAI offers similar features but someone else may provide specifics.
Both of these systems can be configured by a homeowner.  Both also work with
or without a PC and/or a web connection.

Lighting and HVAC control using some of the newer gear is much less of a PITA
than in the past.  Z-Wave (ELK yes; HAI no) compatible switches, dimmers and
thermostats are available or under development from over a hundred firms,
including many of the biggest names in the industry.  Both systems also
support the old standard, X10 (low cost but higher PITA quotient).  I believe
HAI also supports ALC (high cost and not retrofit friendly, but operates
flawlessly once done).

If you plan to develop your own PC-centric system, write your own software,
etc., you do have a lot of work ahead of you.  For a one-up project it may not
be worth the effort.  OTOH, if the you plan to develop something to market go
for it.  One fellow I know bought a Napco P9600 security system a few years
ago with the intention of doing just that.  He wrote an HA software product
called HomeSeer which is now one of the leading sellers in the DIY home
automation market.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass