Re: MR16 LEDs for Landscape Lights

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7hU7k.133546$SV4.51013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(crossposted from comp.home.automation)

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.lighting/browse_thread/thread/ad4f81
> > 26dd61f234/ffde892eaa0cb6c5?hl=en&lnk=st&q=MR16+LEDs#ffde892eaa0cb6c5
> >
> > aka: http://tinyurl.com/3ntcqf
> >
> > No seems to think highly of their light output as in: "while normal MR16
> > light output graphs will show the lux or fc levels at 1m (3 feet)
through
> > 20m (60 feet) or that sort of scale, some of these are measured out to
> > just
> > 25 centimetres, less than a foot, in some cases."
>
> Yes, I did my share of Googling.  I read that one, and another that
claimed
> the photons didn't have enough pressure behind them because of the low
> wattage, so they slowed down.  OK...

Yes - there was some levity in that thread.  I assume that gentlemen was
trying to explain the difference between nearly point sources of light like
LEDs versus much larger sources.  Photometry is more than a little confusing
because there are so many ways to measure it: talbots, candelas, nits,
lumens, foot-lamberts, foot-candles, etc.

Did you post in the lighting newsgroup?  I looked but I didn't see anything
so I crossposted this for you. (-:

> These seem to be getting better all the time.  I'm going to pick up
several
> different samples to see how well they compare with the halogens for
> landscape lighting.

That would have been my next suggestion.  From what I am reading, they've
got a ways to go but for landscaping their "short throw" might not be such a
liability.  In your 120F degree end of the world, I'd also want to do some
serious testing, like what happens if a bulb ends up running accidentally
when it's full summer daylight shining on them for 8 hours at well over
100F.

--
Bobby G.