Re: Smart window blinds. Help needed to start.

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:29:23 -0700 (PDT), saurabh9 <saurabh9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message

atwww.ECOntrol.org/porchsale.htm

>Actually, I envision a complete home automation, starting with maybe
>this automated blinds :) So I would try to add things and capabilities
>slowly to my project.
>
>An important criterion of my project would be budget. I need to keep
>this low cost, that's why I thought I'll try building the components
>myself instead of paying huge load to 3rd party applications, which
>might not even be compatible to other manufactures, and might not talk
>to each other AND might have limitied in configuration/options.
>
>No, I have not bought the blinds yet, as I am about to shift to a new
>house so am trying to first judge my needs of what will go best with
>my project needs.
>Yes, I am a software engineer with a bend towards programming and
>tinkering with computer/electronic stuff and have previously played
>with stepper motors etc. to control a robotic behavior, so I am ready
>to take the effort, if feasible.
>
>I am ok, if I feel it can be useful to others, to maybe open source my
>developments for the benefit to all. On that note, do you already know
>of any open source home automation software initiative?
>
>You said, "there are much simpler ways that simply require your
>controller to make a contact closure.".
>Could you please elaborate a bit, and maybe give an example?  Thanks!

I *did* provide an example -- complete with the url where a specific
practical solution can be purchased, its cost, and references to specific
discussion of it stretching over the past eight years in this newsgroup
comp.home.automation. Did you look art that information?

You have apparently considering designing and building (*just* for the window
blinds):

1) Motor with enclosure
2) Gears, chains as or other attachment to the blinds
3) Switching mechanism(s)or servo for the motors
4) Servo motor controller
5) microcontroller
6) programming of the microcontroller
7) RF transmitter (What? How?
8) RF receiver (What? How?

The add-a-motor reference provides *all* of the above with the choice of
controlling without RF by simple contact closure or contact closure by RF
through simple modification of the RF transmitter (at least it is simple on
the one I obtained with my add-a-motor).

By "contact closure" it is conventionally meant that a single-pole,
single-throw (SPST) switch in a relay or mechanical switch is "closed"
(caused to make contact) so that electricity is allowed to flow from one side
of the switch to another. Typically circuits that can be completed by contact
closure can also be completed through semiconductors such as bipolar
transistors, MOSFETS, or Solid State Relays (SSRs).

A device that is controlled by contact closure is compatible with virtually
every even modestly complete HA system known to humankind so there should be
no significant concerns about compatibility with whatever overall HA control
system you devise.

Have you looked at conventional, commercial home automation systems?  Most
are the result of many thousands of hours of software and hardware
engineering and many times that in experience of and feedback from users.

I'd venture to say that much less than one in 100 folks who start out
thinking that they are going to build a complete system from scratch ever do.
I've spent much of a decade designing and building and installing (and
redesigning and rebuilding and reinstalling, and re-redesigning and
re-rebuilding and re-reinstalling) just the hard-wired lighting component of
a HA system. It's a hobby for me, and I thoroughly enjoy/ed the journey. But
building my own from scratch has been less cost effective than, say, getting
a paper route or flipping burgers to fund a conventional HA system ;-)