Re: Need 66-block help. 1 POTS line, 8 jacks

Bill Kearney wrote:

>> I get shocked when I touch the left and right connections on the 66
>
> The phone company uses AC voltage to control the line (mainly for
> ringing).  This is normal.  You're just not supposed to be touching the
> wires.
>
> I didn't know about this when I was a kid running an extension up to my
> room.  I didn't have a wire stripper handy so I just used my teeth.
> Worked great for the first couple of wires... then the phone rang.
> Knocked me clean off the step ladder.  Not to mention the dirty look I
> got from the dentist that afternoon when he pulled a tiny chunk of
> insulation outta my teeth...
>
> That and I can recall a contractor trying to squeeze his way into a very
> tight and hot wiring closet.  He neglected to shut off the PBX before
> attempting this feat.  Too many doughnuts, too much sweat and a couple
> of lines suddenly ringing... and he got QUITE a surprise!  Had he not
> been such an insufferable jackass leading up to that point we probably
> would have warned him...  That and not dialed up those lines...  Heh.

An old tech I used to work with at Chubb years ago used to test for
phone lines with his tongue.  Yech!  I've always used a meter.  Telus
(the "Ma Bell" in our area) puts 52 VDC to all connected lines.  When
they "zap" the number (disconnect it via computer), the voltage drops to
48 VDC and there's no dial tone.  Using Bill's (the old Chubb tech's)
method you couldn't distinguish between a valid line and one that's been
disconnected...  not to mention the rude surprise if anyone decided to
ring the number at the appropriate moment...  :-)