Re: Making an X-10 lamp module immune to dimming

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> IC pin 8 is the output that drives the triac.  The delay of that pulse
with
> respect to powerline zero crossings determine the brightness.  It is not
> clear how they adjust the phase, but it is probably done by some sort of
> timer in the IC whose count for each half cycle is a function of the dim
> level.
>
> Since older lamp modules come on at full brightness, the problem only
occurs
> if they are manually sent dim commands.  Either just don?t do that, or put
> them on their own housecode where they can?t be directly accessed.  Then
> have your Ocelot or HV map manual commands to only ON/OFF on that
housecode.
> The macro can also handle the ?ALL? issues.

Since we have had two seriously smokin' CFL failures that filled the house
with acrid melting plastic smoke, I am afraid to leave the "don't dim" rule
in the hands of operators or my weak HA programming skills.  Another CFL
"Burning Man" tribute would have some serious SAF repercussions.  It's just
too easy to press DIM with too many different types of controllers, from
maxi's to Palmpads to keychains when you don't mean to.  Putting all the
lights on phantom codes would make the HV or CPU-XA a central failure point
I'd rather not have given my mediocre programming skills.  It's not the end
of the world if this isn't doable, but it would be awfully nice to put the
huge box of them to use and to get rid of the clacks. I really don't want to
go the virtual housecode route, but that seems to be the only option if I
can't make the modules themselves deaf to bright and dim commands.

I believe the first test will just be to simply disconnect pin 8 from the
control line.  Hopefully it will be easy to rebridge if that turns out not
to work.  Also, hopefully, it won't incinerate itself after snipping that
line.  I guess I can trot out the old 20mm ammo box I have for containment
of explosive experiments - well, maybe just leave it on a fireproof surface
to test . . .

> We have a bunch of lamp modules that are only used for ON/OFF control.
Most
> power CFLs, but one runs our hot-water recalculation pump.  Can you
imagine
> CLACK - - - -CLACK every 15 minutes from an appliance module?

That would have very bad SAF.  It's good to know I'm not the only one that
wants to use lamp modules for CFL's and other uses.  I assume you're using a
virtual housecode to filter out any "bad presses" that would have resulted
in sending a DIM to the pump controller lamp module.  I really would like
the ALL LIGHTS ON/OFF command to work with CFLs.  Also, I don't know whether
it's dumb coincidence, but my N:Vision 23W flood does not relight or flash
on a lamp module but does when connected to an appliance module.  The
relighting and flashing is very bothersome.  Come to think of it, that's
probably why you have very little trouble with relighting and flashing CFL's
but I do - you're running them from lamp modules and I have been using
appliance modules.  The lightbulb over my head has just lit up!

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

--
Bobby G.