Re: Switch Conversion???

In article <rst7k.64884$102.40302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Jeff Volp <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>What you may have is an old GE low-voltage installation.  The place where I
>worked back East had that type of system.  The rockers were horizontal -
>maybe 5/8" by 1 1/4" if I remember right.  There was no local click or snap
>when the switch was pressed, but I could hear a click from the relay in the
>ceiling.  As I recall, that system was discontinued years ago, and it has
>become a retrofit nightmare as the components wear out.

Actually, the GE RR7/RR9 systems are still produced, sold, and installed.
Parts are readily available, and there is also at least one competitor,
touchplate, that makes similar systems.

>If that truly is a low-voltage system, then the wiring is apt to be
>low-voltage too.  Somehow you will have to deal with that.  I am not aware
>of any home automation equipment that will work with that kind of switch.

I think that GE sells an automation interface, but it's a bit pricy for
what you get.

I know that I have seen regular 120V switches that are mounted across
a standard single-box frame.  There are one, two, or three switches in
a single gang.  These switches would toggle and physically stay one
way or the other.  Low-volage switches would be more like a pair of
push-buttons switches.  Even if it is built as a toggle switch, when
released it would go back to the center position (neither side being
down).

marcus hall
marcus@xxxxxxxxxx