Switch Conversion???

I have a potential customer that has a house built in the 50's.  The
electrical switches are an odd style in that the plates sit horizontal and
the toggles are more like rockers about the size of your thumb.

First I am looking for a name, style, or model on this type of switch.  I
have googled and ebayed but can't seem to find a picture for a reference.

Second I would like some hints as to how to install some automation to
control lights and such with this type of switch??

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Les