Re: Smart window blinds. Help needed to start.

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 03:58:14 -0700 (PDT), saurabh9 <saurabh9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message
<d607517f-6792-4d7b-9885-7be5904205db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Here is what I intend to do:
>
>I need a "MAKE controller" or something to intelligently control the
>window blinds.
>
>I need the following sensors to begin with, to send data to the MAKE
>controller, preferably  wirelessly
>
>    * a light sensor
>    * a temperature sensor
>
>On the basis of this data, the MAKE controller should make a stepper
>motor / servo work to open/close window roller blind. This motor is
>not connected directly to the MAKE controller, and would have external
>power if required.
>
>I have lots of questions to begin with:
>
>   1. Will each sensor require their own MAKE boards? If yes, this
>will become too expensive per sensor wise. e.g. motion sensors, if
>added can be numerous, and would naturally need to be scattered in the
>premises.
>   2. How will the sensors remotely send data to controller
>   3. How will the remote motors accept the data and implement it?
>
>I cannot rewire the house, and have wifi, microwave, cordless phone at
>home. I was thinking of using zigbee (xbee), but am not sure. I have
>heard x10 has interference problems and easily picks up noise.
>
>Please help me get started, or perhaps direct me to available related
>documents on the internet. My project is towards home automation.
>Thanks.

You appear to be headed toward building blind control hardware that already
exists commercially along with the entire train of hardware, firmware and
software to control it. Presumably you are skilled and efficient at
programming in a language that the Make Controller www.makingthings.com/
understands.

Do you have the blinds already? Depending on how they operate, there are much
simpler ways that simply require your controller to make a contact closure.

For example, google this newsgroup for "add-a-motor"

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/search?group=comp.home.
automation&q=+%22add-a-motor%22

A window blind controller with wireless remote is $130 + shipping from
www.add-a-motor.com

HTH ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org
Visit my Home Automation and Electronics Porch Sale at
www.ECOntrol.org/porchsale.htm