Re: Need 66-block help. 1 POTS line, 8 jacks

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:47:44 -0400, Lewis Gardner
<lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jack wrote:
>> I need to wire 8 phone jacks to 1 phone line using a 66 block for my
>> home.
>
>> Holding the 66 block upright and going from left to right, there are 4
>> places to punch down wires. The left 2 are connected to each other and
>> the right 2 are connected to each other like this:
>> 1. aa bb
>> 2. cc dd
>> 3. ee ff
>> 4. gg hh
>> 5. ii jj
>> 6. kk ll
>> 7. mm nn
>> 8. oo pp
>
>The idea behind wiring blocks is to provide a permanent termination for
>installed wiring. You will want to punch down all 3 pairs of each of the
>8 cables you have going to the jacks. The order for the first cable will be:
>
>white/blue   to bb
>blue/white   to dd
>white/orange to ff
>orange/white to hh
>white/green  to jj
>green/white  to ll
>
>Repeat the wire color sequence starting with nn for the second cable. Be
>neat.
>
>One side of your our incoming line will loop from aa to mm and on to all
>the left side connectors for the white/blue pair, The other side of the
>incoming line will loop from cc to oo and on to all the left side
>connectors to the blue/white pair.
>
>You will then use jumper clips to connect aa to bb, cc to dd and on down
>the block until you have installed 16 jumpers connecting the 8 phones.
>These clips make troubleshooting easier by allowing you to disconnect
>individual jacks.

Thanks for the reply! I'm very sorry, but I still do not understand. I
think I understand a little better though, but I still have a few
questions.

First of all, what is the difference between white/blue and
blue/white, etc? Secondly, you said "The order for the first cable
will be...white/blue to bb". In my representation above, "bb"
represents 2 places to punch down. Are you saying punch the same wire
in 2 places? Thirdly, if the incoming lines loop from aa to mm and
from cc to oo, it seems a waste of time to punch down the jack lines
in between. There's nothing to bridge them to. Lastly, if what you say
is correct, then my 50-pair 66 block can only support 8 jacks? Is that
true (for my case, where there is a 3-pair cable per jack)?

Thanks again,
Jack