Re: Which controller?

My vote is for the JDS Stargate. It will do everything you mention.
www.jdstechnologies.com

"jmariano" <jmariano65@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I have a question that was probably addressed in this forum, but I
could find a answer that I like.

I have a background in electronics and programming, but don't know
noting of home automation (have order some books !).

I'm looking for a home automation controller to my new bough house. I
want a cheap but reliable system. For now, my main objectives are to
control some X10 devices, the irrigation system and to control or
implement a security system (more on this latter). I would like the
controller to be expandable, by the addition of new plug-in modules
and/or by implementing a network of modules (rs-485 or similar). I
think this will give me plenty of room to play in the future. On the
software side, I also would like to be able to program the system
using linux and open source tools.

I think that the alternatives are a ?of the shelf? semi-professional
system (Ocelot?), some sort of kit or DIY system like  the HSC_II (or
HSC_C?) and a SBC, but since I don't now noting about this subject and
reviewing all the systems on the market today would take me forever, I
would appreciate the opinion of you all.

Finally, one other question: what are the advantages /disadvantages of
using an separated security system, as opposed to integrate the
security system in the H.A. controller.

Regards,

José Mariano