Re: X-10 controllers for use with Apple II

On Jul 20, 6:20=A0am, "Bill Kearney" <wkearne...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm setting up a remote device control system using three Apple II
> > computers
>
> Why?

Now that's a good question. If you are familiar with Apple II
networking, you know that making A2s talk directly to each other has
always been a problem. Nadanet is a relatively new network standard
which allows this kind of communication, but the practical
applications of the system have really never been explored. In the
long run, what I want is the ability to send a program from machine A
to machine B, and have that program remotely control a stepper motor
via a 6522 card. If everything worked properly, I could possibly add
an A/D card, etc. Lots  of possibilities.

Anyway, the CP290 seems like a good way to  experiment with what can
and cannot be done with remote Nadanet commands prior to geting into
the more expensive and complex 6522 controller. I have various X-10
programs on one of my Apple HDs, and have read interesting stuff about
control of  X-10 devices through my Novation Applecat modem. It seems
an avenue worth exploring,

As far as a practical use (like turning on a lawn sprinkler) I don't
have one. Like most A2 fanatics, I have a hard time explaining why I'm
committing time and resources to pushing out the capacities of twenty-
year old computers, but hey, I don't understand why people collect
stamps