Re: MR16 LEDs for Landscape Lights

"Robert L Bass" <Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I've been looking at various colored LEDs for use on my motorcycle.  There
now
> are extremely bright LEDs available in a multitude of colors.  Most of the
> "white" LEDs I've seen are actually a pale shade of blue.

Better check with your local DMV or State Police first.  Some states have
some pretty serious restrictions on putting colored lights on vehicles,
especially those that might lead other motorists to believe you were an
emergency or police vehicle.  Some prohibit any changes at all to original
factory equipment.

Here's one example from the first hit I found (Delaware) on Google and I
know of many other states with similar rules:

http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/driver_services/drivers_license/dr_lic_equipment.shtml

Prohibited Equipment:

Limitation in Number of Lights - Not more than four lights of 300
candlepower or more on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at one time.
Headlights must be installed no higher than 54 inches nor less than 24
inches from the center of the lamp to the ground.

Red Lights Prohibited in Front - No ordinary motor vehicle can show a red
light visible to the front of such vehicle. Such lights are permitted only
on emergency vehicles.

Flashing Lights Prohibited - Flashing lights are generally prohibited except
on:
Emergency vehicles, school buses, snow removal equipment
Any vehicle as a means of indicating right or left turns
Any vehicle as a means of indicating a traffic hazard (four-way flashers)

License Plate Additions - Unauthorized frames, accessories, designs, or
symbols on or attached to the license plate are prohibited.

Other Lights and Original Design Change - No light, lamp or reflector that
tends to change the original design or performance of the vehicle may be
installed.

--
Bobby G.