Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:11:49 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
> "Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:03:52 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
>> > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/technology/10energy.html?ref=science
>> >
>> > "Giving people the means to closely monitor and adjust their electricity
> use
>> > lowers their monthly bills and could significantly reduce the need to
> build
>> > new power plants, according to a yearlong government study.
>>
>> I question the 'reduce the need to build new power plants' portion.
>> I'd agree with reduce the number of new plants.
>
> After an outcry of objections, the California Energy Commission
> withdrew its proposal to require new buildings in the state to have
> radio-controlled thermostats that, in a power emergency, could be
> used to override customers' temperature settings.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/us/16brfs-THERMOSTATPL_BRF.html

Thanks, I'll take a look. I think you'll find that someone will offer
incentives to the consumer to have this done. Then it will be
consumer's choice and not a bad thing. One way or another I still
think we're going to see this. I think we may also see more time of
day billing and a way for consumers to see the reporting. I think the
problem will be getting the f-utilities to give us real-time (or near
real-time) reporting. I'm not sure they have up-to-date db systems for
this kind of thing.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx