Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

ourselves of our duty, we must set ourselves a task we
dislike; we then plead that we have something else to do and by this means
remember our duty.

105. How difficult it is to submit anything to the judgement of another,
without prejudicing his judgement by the manner in which we submit it! If we
say, "I think it beautiful," "I think it obscure," or the like, we either
entice the imagination into that view, or irritate it to the contrary. It is
better to say nothing; and then the other judges according to what really
is, that is to say, according as it then is and according as the other
circumstances, not of our making, have placed it. But we at least shall have
added nothing, unless it be that silence also produces an effect, according
to the turn and the interpretation which the other will be disposed to give
it, or as he will guess it from gestures or countenance, or from the tone of
the voice, if he is a physiognomist. So difficult is it not to upset a
judgement from its natural place, or, rather, so rarely is it firm and
stable!

106. By knowing each man's ruling passion, we are sure of pleasing him; and
yet each has his fancies, opposed to his true good, in the very idea which
he has of the good. It is a singularly puzzling fact.

107. Lustravit lampade terras.19 --The weather and my mood have little
connection. I have my foggy and my fine days within me; my prosperity or
misfortune has little to do with the matter. I sometimes struggle against
luck, the gl