Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

a level with the brutes, yet
wish to be admired and believed by men, and contradict themselves by their
own feelings; their nature, which is stronger than all, convincing them of
the greatness of man more forcibly than reason convinces them of their
baseness.

405. Contradiction.--Pride counterbalancing all miseries. Man either hides
his miseries, or, if he disclose them, glories in knowing them.

406. Pride counterbalances and takes away all miseries. Here is a strange
monster and a very plain aberration. He is fallen from his place and is
anxiously seeking it. This is what all men do. Let us see who will have
found it.

407. When malice has reason on its side, it becomes proud and parades reason
in all its splendour. When austerity or stern choice has not arrived at the
true good and must needs return to follow nature, it becomes proud by reason
of this return.

408. Evil is easy, and has infinite forms; good is almost unique. But a
certain kind of evil is as difficult to find as what we call good; and often
on this account such particular evil gets passed off as good. An
extraordinary greatness of soul is needed in order to attain to it as well
as to good.

409. The greatness of man.--The greatness of man is so evident that it is
even proved by his wretchedness. For what in animals is nature, we call in
man wretchedness, by which we recognise th