Re: CFL database

their uselessness, have not ceased to practise them.

If God had permitted only one religion, it has been too easily known; but
when we look at it closely, we clearly discern the truth amidst this
confusion.

The premiss.--Moses was a clever man. If, then, he ruled himself by his
reason, he would say nothing clearly which was directly against reason.

Thus all the very apparent weaknesses are strength. Example; the two
genealogies in Saint Matthew and Saint Luke. What can be clearer than that
this was not concerted?

579. God (and the Apostles), foreseeing that the seeds of pride would make
heresies spring up, and being unwilling to give them occasion to arise from
correct expressions, has put in Scripture and the prayers of the Church
contrary words and sentences to produce their fruit in time.

So in morals He gives charity, which produces fruits contrary to lust.

580. Nature has some perfections to show that she is the image of God, and
some defects to show that she is only His image.

581. God prefers rather to incline the will than the intellect. Perfect
clearness would be of use to the intellect and would harm the will. To
humble pride.

582. We make an idol of truth itself; for truth apart from charity is not
God, but His image and idol, which we must neither love nor worship; and
still less must we love or worship its opposite, namely, falsehood.

I can easily love total darkness; but if God keeps me in a state of
semi-darkness, such partial darkness di