Re: CFL database

the book without knowing it, save the evil in it, if any. These
are pretty much the effects of that deceptive faculty, which seems to have
been expressly given us to lead us into necessary error. We have, however,
many other sources of error.

Not only are old impressions capable of misleading us; the charms of novelty
have the same power. Hence arise all the disputes of men, who taunt each
other either with following the false impressions of childhood or with
running rashly after the new. Who keeps the due mean? Let him appear and
prove it. There is no principle, however natural to us from infancy, which
may not be made to pass for a false impression either of education or of
sense.

"Because," say some, "you have believed from childhood that a box was empty
when you saw nothing in it, you have believed in the possibility of a
vacuum. This is an illusion of your senses, strengthened by custom, which
science must correct." "Because," say others, "you have been taught at
school that there is no vacuum, you have perverted your common sense which
clearly comprehended it, and you must correct this by returning to your
first state." Which has deceived you, your senses or your education?

We have another source of error in diseases. They spoil the judgement and
the senses; and if the more serious produce a sensible change, I do not
doubt that slighter ills produce a proportionate impression.

Our own interest is again a marvellous instrument for nicely putting out our
eyes. The justest man in the world is not allowed to be judge in his own
cause; I know some who, in order not to fall into this self-love, have been
perfectly unjust out of opposition. The sure way of losing a just cause has
been to get it recommended to these men