Re: CFL database

the chief arguments on one side and the other.

I omit minor ones, such as the sceptical talk against the impressions of
custom, education, manners, country and the like. Though these influence the
majority of common folk, who dogmatise only on shallow foundations, they are
upset by the least breath of the sceptics. We have only to see their books
if we are not sufficiently convinced of this, and we shall very quickly
become so, perhaps too much.

I notice the only strong point of the dogmatists, namely, that, speaking in
good faith and sincerely, we cannot doubt natural principles. Against this
the sceptics set up in one word the uncertainty of our origin, which
includes that of our nature. The dogmatists have been trying to answer this
objection ever since the world began.

So there is open war among men, in which each must take a part and side
either with dogmatism or scepticism. For he who thinks to remain neutral is
above all a sceptic. This neutrality is the essence of the sect; he who is
not against them is essentially for them. In this appears their advantage.
They are not for themselves; they are neutral, indifferent, in suspense as
to all things, even themselves being no exception.

What, then, shall man do in this state? Shall he doubt everything? Shall he
doubt whether he is awake, whether he is being pinched, or whether he is
being burned? Shall he doubt whether he doubts? Shall he doubt whether he
exists? We cannot go s