Re: CFL database

did He cause Himself to
be foretold in types?

795. If Jesus Christ had only come to sanctify, all Scripture and all things
would tend to that end; and it would be quite easy to convince unbelievers.
If Jesus Christ had only come to blind, all His conduct would be confused;
and we would have no means of convincing unbelievers. But as He came in
sanctificationem et in scandalum,177 as Isaiah says, we cannot convince
unbelievers, and they cannot convince us. But by this very fact we convince
them; since we say that in His whole conduct there is no convincing proof on
one side or the other.

796. Jesus Christ does not say that He is not of Nazareth, in order to leave
the wicked in their blindness; nor that He is not Joseph's son.

797. Proofs of Jesus Christ.--Jesus Christ said great things so simply that
it seems as though He had not thought them great; and yet so clearly that we
easily see what He thought of them. This clearness, joined to this
simplicity, is wonderful.

798. The style of the gospel is admirable in so many ways, and among the
rest in hurling no invectives against the persecutors and enemies of Jesus
Christ. For there is no such invective in any of the historians against
Judas, Pilate, or any of the Jews.

If this moderation of the writers of the Gospels had b