Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:09:30 -0500, Robert Green wrote:

> Is anyone out there doing detailed monitoring of the electrical load?  I'd
> like to program my HomeVision controller to speak an audio warning when
> consumption exceeded a certain level.
>
> I know there are expensive load centers with intelligent branch power
> consumption sensors, but last time I looked, it was a $1500+ investment.   I
> would do it if I were spec'ing a new custom home I expected to retire in.
> I'd especially do it if I were going to add a lot of solar panels and wanted
> precise consumption estimates.  In the meantime, I'm making do with a couple
> of $23 Kill-o-watt meters.  I even gave some away as presents.  (-:

It's a project on tap for 2009, we come at this from a very different
perspective. The company I work for writes difficult custom software
solutions using, mainly, the MSoft Enterprise Server OS and tools.

We are in cahoots with a very aggressive and advanced thinking residential
real estate developer who is pushing the alternative energy envelope on the
community and residential unit level.

The 2009 is a "living lab" project, an upscale home that we can test,
install, retest, deinstall, etc. One of the primary goals is the monitoring
aspect or the integration of the monitoring capabilities of others where it
can be displayed  and negotiated easily for the homeowner.