Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The problem, at least from my view, is that it's awfully hard to retrofit a
>truly useful monitoring system in the average home.  I recall reading about
>someone who made their own branch circuit sensors that gave some clue as to
>localized power use.  IIRC, it didn't appear likely to pass inspection.

Actually, it could be very simple to do whole-house monitoring. Duke Energy
recently replaced all the meters in my neighborhood with ones that can be
read remotely. Someone at CES (I don't recall who) suggested putting the
data from whole-house meters on a TV channel so users could see their usage
patterns. Meters like the Kill A Watt can be used on individual appliances.
This could be done with minimal effort and cost.

There are some recently introduced hall-effect current sensors from Allegro
Microsystems that measure current flow while maintaining electrical
isolation. They output 0-5V that is proportional to the current flow. They
are very accurate and come in current ranges from very low to very high.
They could be the foundation for affordable branch circuit monitors that
would not be difficult to retrofit.

http://davehouston.net  http://davehouston.org