Re: pre-wire home - best practices?

"Fergus McMenemie" wrote:

> Pay the extra for any wiring you purchase and get the fancy
> coloured stuff. Years later when you are extending or sorting
> anything it is much simpler if you can imediatly identify alarm,
> data mains cables. It also makes documenting the system clearer and
> simpler!

That's one solution.  Another which I have used for many years is
less expensive and IMO equally reliable.  Buy a few Sharpie brand
fine point laundry markers.  Before pulling each wire, write directly
on the jacket aboiut 2' from the end, "Master-Bedroom Left Window,"
or whatever.  After pulling the cable to the control panel, write on
the jacket about 2' from the business end, "Alarm Zone 2," or
whatever.

We ran home runs for all sensors and devices and routinely bugged
every opening in large homes and businesses so it was fairly common
to have scores of cables to terminate at the end.  This simple system
served us very well.  The only issue with it is you need to wait a
few seconds for the ink to dry before pulling it through a tight
opening.  However, for CAT5 and up you shouldn't pull through tight
openings anyway.

Side Note: Here's a handy way to keep cables neat and professional
looking in a basement or attic.  Nail a 5/8" or larger drive ring
(looks like a heavy, galvanised nail with a hook on the side) into a
joist or rafter about 2' from the wall or ridge beam at one end of
the house.  Do the same thing at the ther end.  Using a chalk line
(~$5 at HD), snap a line between the two nails.  Every 3' or so nail
another ring into a joist/rafter with the rings all pointing in the
same direction.  Bring all related cables into the run of drive
rings, leaving a foot or so of slack where they join the run.  Wrap
long cable ties 3-4 times around the bundle and the ding at one end
and pull the tie until it's snug but not compressing the cables.  At
the other end do the same thing while gently pulling the cables just
taught enough to keep them straight.  With 3 or more wraps the cable
ties will keep everything neat without undue tightness.  Where cables
enter the run leave enougfh slack so they make a gentle turn.

We used to do it that way and I'd occasionally get compliments from
inspectors.  One fellow grumbled, "It's too neat."  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics